Friday, August 26, 2016

Tying Shabby Chic Bows with Seam Binding

Hello, Ribbon Lovers!  I made this sympathy card for a friend of the family whose mother recently passed.  I wanted the card to be soft, elegant and very shabby chic. I find that seam binding ribbon makes the most gorgeous shabby chic bows, and is very easy to work with. I thought I'd share some shabby chic bow tying tips with you here today.


This 6x6 card used a mixed media paper from Canvas Corp brands.  The papers are all done in shades of black, grey and white which means you can custom color them.  After inking up the background, I water colored this heart image with Distress Markers.  I wanted everything to be very soft and soothing.  I laced up the center of the heart with Gold Metallic Bakers Twine. Noble Peacock Seam Binding was tied into a loose shabby chic bow, then tucked under a pair of white flowers. 


Tying a shabby chic bow is super easy.  I set the pegs on my Zutter Bow it All tool to be 3.5" apart.  Then I wrapped my ribbon around the pegs three times.  Before tying the knot in the center of the bow, I folded the loose ribbon end into thirds.  This helps gather the ribbon at the center.  To add the ribbon to the card, I placed a small puddle of hot glue beneath my flowers, then pushed the ribbon into place with the tips of my scissors.   Because seam binding ribbon is so soft, it folds in on itself and creates this beautiful loopy bow.  


The inside of the card is very simple.  I lightly inked the edges of my designer paper, then added a small journaling card.  This is where I will write my personal note to my friend.

Seam binding ribbon comes in a rainbow of colors, and is a dream to work with.  In addition to the colored seam binding I keep in my ribbon stash, I also have a full spool of both Cream and White Seam Binding so that I can custom color my ribbon to match any project I am making.  I'd be happy to share a tutorial for this custom dyed ribbon.  If you're interested, please let me know in the comment section below.

Thanks for stopping by!
Cheerio,
kathy

3 comments :

  1. Gorgeous card! I love all of the beautiful details. I also love shabby chic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is really so pretty x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your friend will definitely appreciate you beautiful card. Hugs

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to hear what you have to say